For the second year we are hosting an Online Holiday Auction in support of the women and children at Nellie’s! With amazing gifts from local businesses, we are proud to offer over 50 great items ranging from food, fitness, fashion and furniture!
Here are some of the great items we have up for auction:
1) Brooks Brothers $500 Gift Certificate and Fashion Consultation: Brooks Brothers is the 192-year-old company that has dressed nearly every American president from Lincoln to Kennedy to Obama and helped create costumes for Mad Men and Gossip Girl. This items is a $500 gift certificate for clothes, including a wardrobe consultation. Perfect for the well-dressed man or woman in your life. Bid on this item here.
2) Tea for 2 with author Katherine Govier: Katherine Govier is the author of nine novels and three short story collections. Her most recent novel The Ghost Brush is about the daughter of the famous Japanese printmaker, Hokusai, creator of The Great Wave. The winner of this item and a guest will visit The Royal York Hotel Library Bar with Katherine to enjoy tea, finger foods, delectable pastries, and great conversation. Bid on this item here.
3) 5 Class Pass at Misfit Studio: Misfitstudio is where yoga’s centering calm gets spiced with a little rock and roll. Classes at MISFITSTUDIO are fun and creative. A change of pace, a flash of laughter and lots of music fuel a memorable class! The 5 class pass is valid for yoga, pilates or fusion classes. Bid on this item here.
4) Dinner for 4 from Santo Pecado Mexican Catering: Santo Pecado plays sinfully with the luscious flavours and textures from the Mexican Cuisine, respecting the sanctity of Abuela’s tradition. Using the freshest ingredients and traditional family recipes, Santo Pecado will create the perfect dinner party experience for you and 3 of your friends. Bid on this item here.
5) 2 Custom Box Deliveries from Front Door Organics: Front Door Organics has been delivering Toronto’s biggest selection and highest quality certified organic food, including fruit, vegetables, meat and more since 1997! Easy online ordering provides you with access to fresh healthy organic food – delivered right to your front door. Bid on this item here.
Coming to the shelter as a new or expecting mom is never easy. Leaving situations of violence and abuse, many women come to Nellie’s in the hopes of beginning new lives for themselves and their children.
This holiday season our friends at Starbucks are collecting infant care items to support the moms and babies at Nellie’s. Throughout December you can drop off baby toiletries, diapers, food and formula at the Jones and Gerrard Store, 1062 Gerrard Street East.
Here’s the latest donation that arrived at Nellie’s yesterday. Thank you to all who have contributed so far!
With just over 1 month to go, our runners and walkers are getting ready to take on the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, Half-Marathon and 5K for the second year in a row. So far we have 22 wonderful people helping us to reach our $20,000 fundraising goal, and today we would like to invite you to join them. If you have been considering participating in the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, Half-Marathon or 5K, now is the time to join as the race always sells out!
We are offering a free registration to every member of our team who agrees to fundraise $250 or more. That’s a savings of up to $110! If you’re nervous about fundraising, don’t worry, our fundraising team is here to offer support and inspiration whenever you need it. All our team members will be treated to a post-race brunch buffet, and best of all, you won’t have to brave the crowds at the Direct Energy Centre to pick up your race kits – we’ll do that for you.
If running isn’t your thing, you’ll be excited to know that we have joined forces with Viva Pulse: Vivacious Women Out to Transform the World to put together a 5K walking team. Viva Pulse is an initiative of vivacious plus size women and the people that love them to support our communities and each other in transforming the lives of women in the world. Viva Pulse is currently accepting new team members to walk and raise funds for Nellie’s. As a member of the Viva Pulse 5K walking team, you will be invited to 2 walking clinics complete with health and fitness advice, stretching and walking techniques, nutritional support, and a 1-hour training walk. For more information about joining the Viva Pulse team, please contact us.
Whether you’d like to run the half marathon or walk the 5K, we would love to have you join us on October 14th as part of Team Nellie’s at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon! Together, we can make a difference in the lives of every woman and child who arrives at our doorstep, fleeing violence, poverty and homelessness. This October, cross the finish line knowing you’ve made a difference. Join Team Nellie’s today!
To join our team, call us at 416-461-0769 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us October 14th at the 2012 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon! After a successful first year, Team Nellie’s is back and we are looking for new team members to help us reach our $20,000 fundraising goal. 100% of the money raised will support the women and children who access our services as they begin new lives, free from violence, poverty, and homelessness.
As a member of Team Nellie’s, you will join a community of runners and walkers dedicated to creating a future without violence against women and children. Team members who commit to fundraising $250 or more will receive a free entry into the race (a $100 value) as well as some other great incentives:
-access to free training runs
-a Brooks technical running shirt
-invitation to a team celebration
-fundraising support throughout your journey!
If you’re nervous about fundraising, don’t be! Last year the majority of our team surpassed their $250 fundraising goal with our Top 3 Fundraisers, Anna Von Frances, Brian Shaughnessy, and Elizabeth Andrew each raising over $1000! After you register, we will create a personal online fundraising page for you, making it easy for your family and friends to donate anytime.
See who has already joined our team.
The Toronto Waterfront Marathon will be held this year on Sunday October 14th. You are invited to run, walk, or wheel in the 5K, half-marathon, or full marathon race. For more information please contact our Fundraising Team at 416-461-0769 or email@example.com
The tipping point was the day she couldn’t afford a bus ticket because he controlled all the bank accounts. For several months Lorrie had desperately contemplated ways to move her family away from her abusive husband. And things were getting continually worse. The constant yelling; the fits of rage; the hidden bruises.
Most of the time it was directed at her, and she tried to justify the outbursts. Often she wondered if he was right when he said those terrible things…”Maybe I don’t work hard enough. Maybe I shouldn’t be talking to my next-door neighbour. Maybe I am too stupid to get a job,” she thought.
But when the abuse was directed towards their 6 year-old son Josh and their 4-year old daughter Julie, Lorrie knew it wasn’t right. Often when she looked in the mirror at night she felt defeated…and when she saw that same look in her children’s eyes, she knew it was time to make a change. But without a dollar to her name, and no access to a bank account or credit card, she felt like she was imprisoned in her own home. That’s when she came to Nellie’s.
When Lorrie, Josh and Julie came to us last year they had no where else to turn. Lorrie arrived on our doorstep with a gym bag on her shoulder and a child in each hand. But the look on her face was one of determination and resolve – she knew she was taking the first steps towards a better life for herself and her children.
Working with Nellie’s counsellors, Lorrie was able to slowly open up about the abuse she’d experienced and start the healing process for herself and her family. Although the change was difficult for Josh and Julie, with the support of Nellie’s Children’s Advocate they were able to continue attending school and looked forward to coming home to the shelter where there were always fun activities waiting for them.
While Lorrie thought that coming to a shelter meant that she was failing her family, the support and encouragement she received meant Lorrie could continue to be a strong leader and a caring mother to her children. Today, Lorrie, Josh and Julie are doing well. Thanks to the support she received at Nellie’s, Lorrie found gainful employment and a safe place to raise her family. This year will be the best Mother’s Day she’s ever had.
A donation in honour of your own mother or someone special could be the perfect Mother’s Day gift. Please donate now to help women like Lorrie and all the moms staying at Nellie’s shelter have a Happy Mother’s Day.
We have a chance to win a website makeover from tbk creative valued at up to $25,000 and we need your help! All it takes is a quick visit to this facebook page and a click on the word “vote.”
Nellie’s website is a shining example of the finest in web design from 2005. With a yellow color that screams at you when you arrive to a single scrolling image across the top of our site, it’s obvious we need a new website! Please see below for photo evidence:
(Our website. Click here to make it better. )
How you can help us:
1) Click on this link to vote.
2) Share your vote on facebook and ask your friends to help us win a new website!
3) Copy, paste, and tweet the following:
Vote @nelliesshelter for CANADA’S WEBSITE CHARITY CHALLENGE and help them win a new one here: http://ow.ly/9fbVX
4) Forward this blog to a friend.
Help Nellie’s website come alive with the same passion, dedication, and commitment that we put into helping women and children escape violence.
Back in December you helped us raise enough money in under 24 hours to replace our boiler at the shelter. We know you can help us win this website. Thank you for your vote.